Monday 9 April 2012

Life class #7

In a break from my normal life class, a friend asked me to go with her to the Saturday morning session which is run by a different tutor and has different models. There is also a mix of very short poses and up to 45 minute ones, as opposed to the 5 to 15 ones my weekday class has.

Two short poses. It really was a challenge to go straight in to this and get the basics down without getting distracted by the detail.
Although the proportions are out in this crouched pose I like the flow of the shapes described by the limbs. The tutor in this class is very keen on promoting stylistic variation and experimentation, rather than the core concepts, so it was quite liberating to be able to run with some of my ideas and recieve suggestions as to where I could go with them.
I tried to just capture the minimum of line and tone in this pose. I did not have enough padding on the board so there are pentimenti on the figure.
The arm is a little short but it was interesting to draw the profile of an older model's torso.
This stylistic study came about almost by accident. The facial features remind me of a figure on a Greek vase...
The hardest part of this was drawing the facial features upside down. So much for "Drawing on the right side of the Brain"...
The head is too small for the body but the overall effect has a monolithic quality, like Henry Moore's figures where the heads are deliberately smaller
These line studies and the two below were all done during the 45 minute pose, which was far too long for the way I work. I loved the angle I had, but found I preferred to work diffent media on the same pose rather than change position. I also had the opportunity to do a detailed study of the foot with the side-on view of the toes.
This graphite version is my personal favourite of all my life work to date.

The black conte shadows happened as a last minute idea, but do anchor the body to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment