Tuesday 12 July 2011

Variation on cylindrical objects


I'm probably getting a bit carried away with cylinders but my original intention with this was to use contour shading. Having drawn in the basic shapes in pencil I sent a pot of markers flying while hunting for my drawing pens (serendipity) and decided to go for a tonal treatment instead, as I have a graded set of 5 cool greys, with the black provided by a (self proclaimed) Manga brush pen- it's a Pentel goodie I picked up in my local art shop and has a true and very sensitive brush tip made of synthetic fibres- still getting used to it for drawing usage but the ink is the densest black I currently have.

Having decided to leave the labels and markings off all but the small round pot, which looked a bit bland without any, I really enjoyed doing this, so much so that my husband came to see why I wasn't downstairs watching the run-up to the British GP (The one sport I follow!)

Although there are some visible wobbles I'm quite pleased with this as a whole, and including the table with its angular shapes gives a nice contrast to the objects used. The wall pattern is invented just to break up the area- I've painted the studio matt white for maximum light.


(thought) I'm probably getting a bit ahead of myself in the assignment sequence- oops, back to the shopping still life.

The cylinder theme will be continued shortly, as while at work I remembered that an endless supply of differnet sizes are available from our label printing room (cardboard roll centres), and I have great ideas of stringing them up to form a still life after painting them white...so I robbed out the rubbish bag tonight, I always did have a thing for abstracting designs...although I may digress into sculpture in the process...maybe this can be carried forward to printmaking...

No comments:

Post a Comment