Sunday 24 July 2011

Tate summer 2011 doodle

As I haven't actually done a big doodle yet I thought that my first impressions of the summer Tate St Ives exhibition would be a good subject to try and record.

So- there's a bit of everything here, from the Breon O'Casey on the stairs, Naum Gabo's wonderful studies and models, a Lucio Fontana (complete with an incised strip for authenticity), a Margaret Mellis assemblage, pastel stripes from Agnes Martin, and the black streaks on the lower left are a quick impression of Roman Ondak's Mapping the Universe work, which involves every visitor being measured against the wall and their name and date added. And of course Martin Creed's balloons nestling below the Porthmeor sea , the lichen covered rooftops, and the fog bank lurking offshore. Lastly, not forgetting Anri Sala's video Ghost Games, a torchlight game of tag with ghost crabs on the sand, shown in the darkened space of the Apse (have you found the crab yet?).

Actually I've seen so much today that I think this helped to put it in a manageable perspective, I'll be writing on my thoughts on each artist very soon.

1 comment: