Wednesday 26 October 2011

A Welsh Sketchbook - Day Eight

Day
Eight- St
Davids, Oriel-y-Parc and Caerfai

Mike wanted to circumnavigate Carn Llywd which looms over the hostel, so in the morning we set off for the cliff path in search of what appeared to be a burial chamber on the cliff edge. It was a collapsed kist chamber, so I drew while Mike took photos.



 Having eventually found our path around the hill we had lunch before heading into St David's for much needed supplies, and to find the artist-in-residence at the Oriel-y-Parc visitor centre. I was distracted when looking into the gallery area to see a Ben Nicholson on the wall- further investigation yielded a slew of St Ives artists: Heron, Lanyon, Wells etc as the theme for the year was "The Sound of the Sea", and it was also a rather vicarious thrill to be able to get my nose VERY close up to a Turner seascape to study the brushwork. There were several Graham Sutherland pieces on display: Pembrokeshire having been his muse, and in the foyer the BBC programme where Rolf Harris paints a version of "Road to Porth Clais" was playing, so I settled down to watch it. Eventually I finally made it into the residency studio, where Rhian Davis was contemplating a generous blob of yellow on her brush and was immediately amused to see she has the same sort of paint colour reference charts that I make up, which got the conversation going quite nicely!
Rhian is a marine biologist, and started painting a year ago, using her late father's materials. Her work is colourful, semi-abstract and features marine environments, and I took to her bold use of colour straight off. She was welcoming and friendly, and our conversation led to discussing subject, motivation, self-discipline and experiment.
The combined experiences of Oriel-y-Parc resulted in my getting very fired up creatively. It is definitely the most informative visitor centre I have ever been in and I thoroughly recommend it if you are in St Davids. I dragged Mike off to nearby Caerfai beach, which has bands of green and Barbie-pink striped sandstone in the cliffs, and while he rockpooled I got busy drawing.



 After some time working on different areas of rocks and cliffs, I got up to join him, only to find the remains of a dead magpie tangled in weed, which I really had to draw for posterity- I have a special affinity with magpies.


As dinner cooked, I sat outside the kitchen door and drew the mass of Carn Llidi rising behind us.



 Lastly, that night I drew the shapes of the fields below the hostel, very simply, using the side of a brush pen. Possibly it was the only time I really used my chosen medium to its full considered extent, rather than just grabbing a particular pen to make marks with.

No comments:

Post a Comment