Wednesday 17 August 2011

Studies on coloured backgrounds

After the trials of Saturday, I decided to take a fresh approach and play around in the negative- i.e. drawing light onto dark. Originally I intended to work on black paper but realised that I could make the background colour work for me on the tomatoes so selected the most vivid red I had. I started working with a normal kid's quality white crayon and soon realised it didn't have the pigment level to produce results- a salutory lesson in choosing suitable tools! I swopped over to my Caran d'Ache set, using only white, pastel yellow, and grey-blue for the shadows, and two tones of olive for the stalks. I liked the graphic quality of the finished study.


Pleased with this attempt, I then turned to the aubergines, which I decided to put on a black plate to really force me to describe them with highlights. This time I did use my black sketchbook as I couldn't find a suitable aubergine starting colour, and probably a greater number of colours as I was cross-hatching and blending in places.


Lots more veg to work through yet, so don't go away!!

No comments:

Post a Comment